Technology has made it possible for people to connect and distribute information to large audiences in various ways. Early discoveries like radio and the telephone developed into enormous, global networks, including satellites and underwater cables. Technology has enhanced the speed and range of connections we can make, even allowing us to send photos and videos worldwide from a pocket-sized gadget.
- Telegraph: A telegraph is a communication system in which data is transmitted over a wire using a series of electrical current pulses, generally in Morse code.
- Radio: Radio systems use wireless signals to convey data, speech, and video. Radio currently includes everything from traditional broadcast stations to cell phones and wireless data networks in its definition.
- Telephone: Television is another way to reach a large audience, with a new advantage – visual communication. Thousands of television stations provide information on topics, including news, sports, history, science fiction, etc.
- Satellite: In the context of spaceflight, a satellite is a device purposefully launched into orbit. Satellites circumvent the long-distance communication problem created by the ionosphere by receiving radio signals in orbit, amplifying them, and retransmitting them hundreds of kilometers away to ground-based receivers.
- Internet: The internet was a breakthrough data network that enabled computer users globally to share information. The tools available on the internet make communication of any kind simple and in one location. Verbal & non-verbal communications are possible with video conferencing software and written communication via emails. Any internet device may send and receive pictures in electronic form. Customer communication software is another example of one of these technologies. While some devices make it easier for a company to communicate with its clients, others are labeled hybrid because they combine many types of communication.
The following are some examples of communication technologies:
- Social Media: In recent years, social media has been one of the most effective communication tools. Individuals can create personal profiles on social media sites, upload profile photos, and life updates, and create a friend list of people who can access their posts.
- Blog & Vlog: Blogs are essentially personal websites where you can post content for worldwide viewers. Businesses use blogs to promote themselves, while professional bloggers use them to make money through affiliate marketing. Blogging has naturally evolved into vlogs. Because of increased bandwidth availability, people can now post videos to the internet.
- Live Video Streaming: Live video is a vlogging extension that responds to the demand for immediacy and authenticity among internet content consumers. A live video broadcast can play, pause, and rewind video in real time is a vital feature. A video isn’t sent as a distinct data packet, and the receiver can watch only after receiving the video entirely. The data is downloaded in real time, buffered, and replayed.
- Smart Speakers: Smart speakers are computerized personal assistants used in businesses and households to help people complete tasks without using their hands. They’re usually triggered by phrases like OK Google, Hey Siri, or Alexa. The user also asks the device questions or delivers voice instructions by prompting a hot phrase.
- Wearable Technology: Communication is now easier than ever before because of wearable technologies. Wearable technology refers to any information technology that is worn on the body. A few examples include smart watches, fitness bands, and smart eyeglasses.
- Web Conferencing: Employees communicate with one another over long distances seamlessly. With Covid-19, this is essential in ensuring that work is done remotely.
- Group Forum: Users can ask questions and receive responses in a group discussion. Many forums, including Reddit, are structured by subject, allowing individuals with similar interests to interact.
- Podcasts: Podcasts are audio information packets that may be posted and stored on the cloud for anybody to download and listen to whenever they want. RSS feeds can be used to automatically download a podcast onto a smartphone, allowing listeners to get the most recent episodes anytime they choose.
We’ve come a long way in terms of communication technology. From telephone booths to personal cell phones, we’ve seen the evolution of technology. Communication technology has become so important to us that we would be unable to function without it.