Teleworking has evolved into a new way of life in 2020, of which many were previously unaware. What is Teleworking? Well! It is the practice of working from home while communicating with your office over the internet via email or phone. Without surprise, the pandemic’s restrictions have skyrocketed the use of teleworking. It appears that the consequences will be felt in the long run as well. Teleworking has a bright future: most SME owners are open to the idea of offering it, and they expect a large chunk of their employees to take advantage of it at least some of the time. Most SMEs will not change their employees’ working conditions if they choose to telework. If they do, most of the changes will be positive. Although there are a few drawbacks, most SMEs find that the advantages of teleworking outweigh the disadvantages, both for themselves and for their employees. Below are the advantages and disadvantages of teleworking practice in SMEs.
- Maintaining flexible working hours and a work-life balance.
- Saving time and money.
- Reducing conflict in the workplace.
- Concentration is improved.
- Working from any location.
- Eliminating a pleasant working environment.
- Emotional disconnection.
- Collaboration between workgroups is lacking.
- Professional isolation.
- Reduction of learning.
The Most Effective Telecommuting Software to Help you Get more of your WFH Experience
Finding the right telecommuting software to meet the needs of your team is crucial. WFH software, which includes everything from video conferencing to messaging, is essential for staying connected and collaborative while working remotely. Here are the five types of software tools that you and your team will need to be productive while WFH:
- Project Management: It becomes challenging to stay organized while working on multiple projects with different stakeholders responsible for varied tasks. WFH can make it a daunting task to keep everyone organized. Through online dashboards, project management tools track project road maps in real-time. This means that even if you are working remotely, you’ll be aware of the tasks that need to be completed and the status of other project tasks. ProofHub, Trello, Monday.com, and Workfront are some of the best project management tools available.
- Real-Time Communication: When it comes to keeping teams informed, ensure all lines of communication are open and easily accessible. Real-time communication tools enable the whole team to post messages within relevant groups, making it simple for a remote worker to join in on a conversation or catch up on messages they missed earlier. Other tools, such as internet-hosted phone calls or video chats, allow you to communicate as if you were face-to-face. Zoom, Slack, Skype, WebEx, GoToMeeting, Google Hangouts Meet are a few popular real-time communication tools.
- Collaboration: It can be nearly impossible to collaborate when multiple people are working on a task, especially if one is working remotely. Remote workers can share files using collaboration software, allowing them to work with a team in real-time. Google Drive, Microsoft Teams, Zoho Docs, Notion, and Confluence are all popular collaboration tools.
- Team Monitoring & Management: This is for the team leader’s information. If you or your team members need to WFH, you must ensure that everyone on your team is engaged and contributing. There are tools available that allow you to poll your team about their engagement and feelings about their work. Some tools track keyboard, mouse, app, and other usage metrics to show you how active your team is. These tools keep your team motivated while also letting you know when someone is falling behind. Hubstaff, Officevibe, and JotForm are software tools for team monitoring and management.
- Remote Access: Have you ever needed to access a critical file or application on your work computer but couldn’t because you weren’t at work? Remote access software allows you to access your work computers at any time. While remoting in from another device, open any file and use any application on your work computer. Splashtop Business Access is the best remote access tool for WFH.